Monday, October 12, 2009

Goodbye, Jiggy....


Oh man was today a tough one..... we have been dog sitting my parents dog for about ten days now (they contemplated even going on vacation since they had a sick dog, but I offered to care for her while they were away). And she hasn't been doing so well since she came to our house, she recently was diagnosed with stage 3 cancer and had a tumor removed. Needless to say it came back almost instantly. For my parents, she had been relatively normal, and in the first few days with us, she was normal, too. However, over the weekend when I was changing her bandages (we did have to keep her underbelly wrapped tightly to prevent bleeding from the tumor, and it is tough to wrap an 85lb black lab) her spot was deteriorating rapidly to the point it was as if her insides were going to fall out, poor dog. So I took her to the vet, and on the way there braced Elliott that we may very well not bring the dog back home with us. Thank goodness my husband didn't go in to work this morning wo he could be there with us. And once the vet saw the damage, he said it was Jiggy's time to go.... so sad to see her pass away. In conversing with Myles about it when he got off the bus today, we talked about somet of the things Jiggy liked to do; like great us at the door, bark, swim in the lake, and so much more. Myles said 'I'm gonna miss those times.' And at one point he said, 'mom stop talkin about it, I'm gonna cry.' And this evening I was looking for a photo to share of this precious dog, who is actually my parents, and I found a great one of Myles when he was just about one-year-old and Jiggy. Jiggy was such a great companion to my parents. The loyalty she showed towards them was greater than anything I've ever seen! She was obediant, dominant (in the best ways possible), active, and caring towards all the new children added to her life! Jiggy had a fondness towards the UPS and FEDEX men (they may not be so sad she has passed), as I recall one time she ran after one of the delievery men and I'm sure scared the living 'xxxx'out of him! Anyway, she was a well loved dog, and will be missed by all of us. It definately will not be the same at Grandma's house without the big black dog greeting us with her kisses and tail waggin!
Oh and I must add, Jiggy was one of Elliotts first words... so that alone lets you know just how important this dog was to all of us!

2 comments:

  1. Kristy, I am so sorry that Jiggy has passed. I love the picture of Myles and Jiggy, it brought tears to my eyes. Your memories of her will keep her spirit alive.

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jiggy always will have a special place in my heart. She was such a loving and fun dog, and without the positive and fun experience of her, I never would have adopted my Addie.

    ReplyDelete